As a public body, the Division believes and affirms the general public’s right of access to information gathered and generated by the Division. This right must be balanced by appropriate protection of privacy for personal information. The information management practice of the Division will be based on the following principles:
- The right of access of any person to the records in the custody or control of the Division, subject to limited and specific exceptions;
- Protection and appropriate use of the personal information of the clients and employees of the Division;
- Right of access of clients and employees to their own personal information, subject to limited and specific exceptions;
- The right to request correction of personal information held by the Division.
The Division will provide access to information and protection of personal information in a manner consistent with this Administrative Procedure and with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and related Regulations of the Province of Alberta.
- Designation of Head
The Superintendent is designated Head of Fort McMurray Public School Division for the purpose of overseeing the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and is responsible for ensuring that the Division complies with its provisions.
- The Superintendent, as Head of the public body, will approve a Delegation Authority Matrix for the purpose of managing the Act. Regardless of the delegation of authority, the Head will remain accountable for all actions and decisions made under the Act.
- Designation of the Coordinator
The Associate Superintendent of Business and Finance is designated to the position of Coordinator as it relates to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and is responsible for the overall management of the freedom of information and protection of privacy function within the Division.
The Head is hereby empowered to fulfill his or her duties under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act which includes the establishment of procedures and practices to ensure appropriate management of the legislation.
- Setting of Fees
When fees are to be paid under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, they shall not exceed the rates outlined by the Act under regulations 10, 11, 12, 13 and Schedule 2.