Electronic messaging is one of the ways the Division regularly communicates with parents, students, and staff. Generally, communications are limited to information sharing but occasionally, communication may encourage participation of a commercial nature including an expectation of profit, such as fundraising. Both email and website postings, voice and text messages to telephones, are the electronic means for the Division or a school to send and receive messages.
- The Principal will advise parents through the online student registration form and a posting on the website that the Division and school communicate essential information electronically to parents and students.
- Parents/guardians will be asked to provide an email address, which the Division will understand, is express consent to send Commercial Electronic Messages (CEMs).
- Parents will be provided with an email address, school phone number and contact name, to unsubscribe at any time.
- The registration form will also state that explicit consent to send CEMs continues until the parent/guardian unsubscribes or two (2) years after the student graduates – whichever comes first.
- The Principal will advise staff that the use of emails is primarily to share information where there is no expectation of profit. When the CEMs have an expectation of profit, the Principal must approve staff access to the email lists of parents, vendors, donors and supporters.
- Only those persons or businesses with whom the Division has explicit consent or implied consent through an ongoing relationship may be contacted by email when the expectation is for profit. Fundraising is an example of a for-profit CEM.
- The Division does not share its email lists with external organizations or persons.
- All CEMs from staff, on behalf of the Division, and/or using the Division email system, must contain the unsubscribe notice.
I would like to unsubscribe from receiving:
- All messages from the Fort McMurray Public School Division.
- All promotional messages from the Fort McMurray Public School Division. I will continue to receive notifications consisting of information about the programs, events and activities.