The Materials Manager under the authority of the Associate Superintendent, Business and Finance is authorized to purchase and dispose of hazardous materials in accordance with safe practices,
- Purchase of Hazardous Materials
- The Purchasing Officer will request MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) from successful suppliers prior to the shipment of goods.
- The Purchasing Officer will request from suppliers, on all purchase orders issued, the "shipping document" or "manifest" document to accompany the shipment of dangerous goods.
- The receiver at the user facility will ensure a copy of the "shipping document" or "manifest" and any additional documents provided, be given to the user to ensure proper handling and storage of dangerous goods.
- The receiver will retain for a period of two (2) years, a copy of the "shipping document" or "manifest" and any additional documents provided, and make them available on request by an inspector.
- Maintenance staff will distribute to user facility and Director of Operations and Maintenance a copy of all MSDS forms as well as maintaining a complete set for immediate access in case of emergency.
- Users will follow Occupational Health and Safety Act regulations as they relate to the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS).
- Disposal of Hazardous Materials
- In May, the Director of Operations and Maintenance will send a notice requesting any surplus or obsolete inventory be identified for removal through a work order. The Director will work with each site to schedule the appropriate removal and disposal.