Administrators best qualified to maintain the Division’s high standards shall be selected in a fair and equitable manner.
- Principals and vice-principals will be appointed on the following basis:
- As of May 1, 2015 all new administrative appointments will be offered a term-certain contract.
- Prior to May 1 of their probationary year, the administrator will be notified whether or not the designation will continue to the length of the term-certain contract.
- Prior to May 1 of the administrator’s last year of the term-certain contract, the administrator will be notified whether or not another term-certain contract will be offered.
- Administrators already appointed with contracts other than a term-certain retain their original contracts.
- The criteria for the selection of principals will, to some degree depend upon the job description for each school. They may, therefore, vary slightly from one school to another.
- The following criteria or factors frequently used in Principal selection will normally be given attention by the Selection Advisory Committee. The factors listed are not necessarily in order of priority.
- Training including breadth of both general and specialized knowledge;
- Human relations skills;
- Command of language and ability to articulate thoughts;
- Dependability and drive;
- Likely administrative behaviour or creativity; and
- Every effort shall be made to obtain “the right Principal for the right school” or, in other words, the person who can best meet the criteria adopted by the Selection Advisory Committee. Vacancies shall, therefore, be advertised both inside and outside the Division.
- Other things being equal, preference shall always be given to applicants on the Division staff.
- A Selection Advisory Committee shall be appointed and chaired by the Superintendent for each principalship vacancy. This Committee shall be responsible for screening and evaluating the candidates in terms of the criteria adopted for the vacancy. The Committee shall be composed of Division Office personnel. Other personnel who possess the experience, preparation, and insights necessary to discharge such responsibilities in an effective manner may also be included, at the discretion of the Superintendent.
- After giving full consideration to the findings of the Selection Advisory Committee, the Superintendent shall make the final decision.