Students acquire proficiency under various circumstances and at different rates. Course challenges will enable students to demonstrate skills, knowledge and attitudes already mastered. The challenge process is based on the belief that students who have mastered learning in a particular course are to have the opportunity to demonstrate their understanding and receive recognition for it.
- Students will complete an application form (Form 365-1) for course challenge and submit to the Principal.
- A student's readiness for course challenge shall be determined through consultation that includes the Principal, student, parents and subject area teacher(s).
- Depending upon the course being challenged, one or more of the following assessment techniques may be used to determine student mastery.
Conducted by a subject area specialist. The student will demonstrate mastery of significant learning in the course.
Student will provide a portfolio demonstrating the full range of skills, knowledge and attitudes of' the course to be challenged.
A written, oral or practical assessment to be taken at a scheduled time.
- Applications are to be made to the Principal by November 1 or May 1 for semester programs. Challenge assessment will occur during final examinations week. For ten month program students, the application can be made at any time.
- With the exception of Diploma 30 courses, the challenge assessment is 100% of the students final mark. In diploma exam courses the course challenge will represent the school awarded mark.
- When the Principal approves a request for course challenge the student shall be responsible for assessment preparation. The Principal shall designate a teacher in that subject area to administer the Challenge Assessment.
- Students may attempt a specific course challenge only once. If the attempt is unsuccessful they will be required to take the course.
- A course challenge by students is available only at a higher level or pattern.