A superior school system requires continuity from year to year. This continuity is best provided when employees remain with the system.
- In May, the Board will host a banquet for employees who, in the current school year, September 1 to August 31 completed a predetermined number of years of service. Each employee being honoured may invite a guest.
- Employees to be recognized will have completed 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 years etc. by August 31. Five (5) year recipients will be recognized at their work sites.
- CUPE Staff will be recognized according to the CUPE seniority list and have attained years of service according to the anniversary date when commencing employment with the Division. This does not include temporary or casual service, only the date of permanent employment.
- Service that is interrupted by a leave, (maternity, parental, deferred leave, sabbatical, personal leave, long term disability) or resignation(s) will be calculated from the time of initial employment, but not be counted towards recognition of years of service. Calculation of service will resume when the employee returns to a position.
- Staff that were part of both unions or switched from a union to non-union position during their employment with the Division would have all service years counted for recognition purpose. (i.e. CUPE then ATA or CUPE then Non-Union)
- In recognition of service to the residents of the Division, employees offering service for the periods of 5 or more years will receive a certificate and recognition from the Board.
- The Board may recognize employees who have provided exceptional service or who have gained provincial or national achievement, or who have retired or plan to retire by the end of the school year.
- A Staff Recognition Program will be produced for ceremony purposes.
- The planning, organization and implementation of the Staff Recognition Ceremony event is the responsibility of the Head of the Human Resources Department or designate.
- Appeal by individuals with special circumstances may be made to the Division Superintendent, or designate. The decision by the Division Superintendent will be made in consultation with the Executive Committee and is final.
- A Trustee may be invited to each school to participate in the presentation of the multi-year certificates.
- ATA Employees Long Service follows their collective agreement.
- CUPE and Non Union Employees will receive a gift in the value of $20 per year on each 5 year anniversary:
5 years - $100
10 years - $200
15 years - $300
20 years - $400
25 years - $500
30 years - $600
35 years - $700
40 years - $800
Employees who meet the criteria for retirement; at least 10 years of service with the Division and are 55 years of age or older, will also receive a Retirement certificate and $20 dollars per year of service upon retiring.