The Division a responsibility to ensure that safe transportation services are provided for students, staff and volunteers. The Division also has a responsibility to run an efficient transportation system. In providing safety and efficiency, the Division supports the use of GPS (Global Positioning Software) on school buses if available.
- Access to Information
- Access to the GPS system and website is restricted to those employees who require the information to perform their duties.
- Persons with access to the GPS system and website will have restricted access to real time data, historical data, or both, based on their user-specific needs.
- Personal information will not be disclosed outside the Division except if required where disclosure is appropriate in the circumstances or where consent is present.
- Information will be used to:
- Locate buses and provide rescue assistance in emergency situations.
- Generate data regarding student ride times for monitoring, reporting and compliance with government guidelines.
- Assist in the planning of efficient bus routes and to verify that routes are driven as planned.
- Monitor safe driving practices such as proper use of loading lights, correct procedures for railway crossings, and driver speeds.
- Monitor bus idle times to promote efficiency.
- Generate distances for calculating driver salaries.
- As needed, provide data for high-level vehicle utilization reporting to allow comparisons and analysis of productivity.
- When necessary, investigate a complaint from a member of the public, investigate concerns raised internally and address productivity issues.