Fort McMurray Public School District is dedicated to environmental education and stewardship.
The Green Scene
The Green Scene is a team of administrators, teachers, support staff, parents and students who support, motivate, educated and champion environmental stewardship in our schools, our district and our community.
Green Scene Initiatives
- Professional development. (Prezi: Environmental Stewarship in FMPSD (district PD)
- Science Fair Environmental Awards and Fieldtrip
- Anti-Idling signs for each school
Our District Initiatives
- All new schools are built to certification
- All new schools and retrofitted schools have water bottle filling stations installed
- District office has installed three water bottle filling stations, and encourages the use of them instead of bottled water at meetings.
Our School Initiatives
- Westwood High School
- Ecole Dickinsfield School
- Walter & Gladys School
- Ecole McTavish Jr. High School
- Christina Gordon School
- Composite High School
- Christian School
- Timberlea School
- Westview School
- Dr. Clark School
- Beaconhill School
- Islamic School
- Thickwood School
- Greely Road School
- Frank Spraggins School
Our Student Programs
- EnviroMentors Grade 12 students buddied with Grade 4 students teach about community environment and beautification over 5 weeks.
- RMWB Green Teen program, Jr. & Sr. High students design and implement action projects that improve the community.
- Destination Conservation grades 4-12 students learn about conservation and create yearlong environmental projects for their schools.
- Emerald Foundation hosts Emerald Day in Fort McMurray inspiring youth and adults with different initiatives by Alberta Emerald Award winners.
We’re grateful for the support from our partners!
- Shell Canada and ConocoPhillips for sponsoring Destination Conservation and ACEE workshops, helping both staff and students.
- BP Grants for A+ For Energy grant support
- Communities In Bloom for support with seeds for gardens.
- Alberta Council for Environmental Education ACEE for support with teacher education
- Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo for support with Learning Gardens
- Tower Gardens at Greely Road School
- Sustainability in Fort McMurray Westwood and Dickinsfield
- Waste Free Lunches at Ecole Dickinsfield School
- School Gardens at Ecole Dickinsfield School
- Recycling at Ecole Dickinsfield School
- Students Plant Trees Lost In Fire Ecole McTavish School
- YMM Magazine Getting Green With Ecole Dickinsfield
- Wormologists Help School Go Green ATA, Ecole Dickinsfield
- Students Become Wormologists Ecole Dickinsfield
- Energy Stories Westwood and Ecole Dickinsfield
- Westwood Green Initiative
- Students Increasing Water Literacy Westwood Green Initiative
- Students Becoming Environmental Leaders Westwood Green Initiative